SEARCH FOR A LOCATION, PAINTING, OR ANYTHING ELSE

Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Burton Agnes Hall.


 I had gone to deliver a painting, a gift for S then diverted on my way back to explore. I drove to the coast at Ulrome to consider a beach painting. The tide was out, the sun shone through thin fluffy clouds and I could see Flamborough cliffs, a chalky white stripe piercing the sea. The beach was wet as the tide ebbed creating wonderful reflected shapes. I saw a group of people, one with what looked like a metal tube - they interrogated the tide line by thrusting the tube into the sand. I surmised they were trying to catch bait for fishing. The coast path is precarious, volatile with a brooding unpredictability. Though the muddy cliffs are modest in height they still need treating with extreme caution. I was not happy and set off, away from the coast. I passed through Lissett, where I saw Peter’s war memorial and remembering the dedication ceremony when I met Archbishop Sentamu. Through Gransmoor I found myself passing Kelk. Then a sign to Burton Agnes reminded me of the Hall. Though middle afternoon I visited (£18.50) and had a cup of much needed tea and a slice of cake. I thought of visiting the resident artist, though upon enquiring I discover, that since Covid,  they had not had one at the Hall. I set up new a large yew tree, just outside the walled garden. It was late to start painting but I thought I would try a section of the Hall. The painting above is really a sketch as I was ‘collected’ by staff who were closing the Hall before I could finish. Time marches on quickly when I paint, I am so absorbed I don’t check the time and was surprised to see it was well after 5pm. I will leave this painting as it is and may revisit to try again. From this location a large yew branch falls over the picture from the top right corner. I did not have time to put it in and will now leave it out.

Email for details.


No comments: