This is a late afternoon sketch, done very quickly, to try and get the essence of this area of the garden. I am standing in an area where a very short path leads to a focal point consisting of a pedestal mounted urn. I have had to reduce the size of the pond though I think it gets across the ‘feel’ of the arrangement. I wanted to capture the exuberance of the planting. White roses contrast to the dark greens, it is, however a warm to hot planting arrangement with red roses, deep red crocosmia (lucifer?) and a pale orange salvia dominating. The walnut tree opposite shades the ground where earlier a father and child sat, shaded from the late hot sun. J appeared just before I finished and we had a brief chat about the garden. I received an email from Sledmere regarding the walled garden. I repeat it here and hope, like me, you will vote.
If you’ve visited us over recent years, you’ll hopefully have seen our wonderful Walled Garden looking rather special.
What you might not know is that it has been named as one of just six finalists in the Historic Houses Garden of the Year Award 2026 and the only garden in Yorkshire to make the final.
This really is a big deal for us. Historic Houses represents hundreds of historic houses, castles and gardens across the country, so to see our Walled Garden amongst the final six is something we are incredibly proud of.
Our Garden Team have spent years working away behind the scenes, developing and caring for the garden through every season. Winning would mean an enormous amount to them, but also to the whole team here at Sledmere. We would be incredibly proud to bring this award home to Yorkshire.
So, we’re asking for your help!
If you’ve enjoyed our gardens over the years, whether you visit regularly, have been once, or simply enjoy following what our team gets up to, we’d be very grateful if you could take a minute to vote for Sledmere.
https://www.historichouses.org/garden-of-the-year-2026/
We’re up against some wonderful gardens from across the country, so every single vote really does make a difference.
Thank you, as always, for supporting us.
The Sledmere House and Gardens Team
Some of my art books - ideal presents, email me for details. All feature plein air painting oil on canvas board except Plein Air Landscapes and the Sketchbook which comprise panoramic sketches with watercolour wash.


No comments:
Post a Comment