Here is an interesting little picture. It is significant as one of the first canvases I painted on my journey using a French easel. At this time, I was experimenting. This is using an acrylic on canvas painted en plein air from the Westwood. It shows the rear of BEVERLEY Grammar School with the White House at the side which at the time occupied by John Crooks a vet, and his artistic wife. John actually trained with Alf Wight famous author of the ‘James Herriot’ books. He set up Norwood Vets in Beverley in 1954 which remains in practice to this day. I love this painting, it reminds me of many things. I taught at the school for nearly 30 years and enjoyed every moment. I met many students and their parents and also made lasting friendships with staff at the school. The fact that it was founded in 700AD with links to Beverley Minster makes the school very special. The painting was produced using a 20x16 inch canvas on a simple tripod. In these early days of painting I made my own wet canvas carrier which could hold two wet canvases. I very much like the colours on this painting. The sky, in particular, the somewhat bleached grass reflecting the late time of year and the distant white reflections of buildings on the horizon. Below are some of my books reflecting my plein air work using either 12x10 or 14x10 canvas boards. The Plein Air Painter book is a comprehensive guide for making your own paint box, pochade box. All available from me, just email me for details.
1. YORKSHIRE SKETCHBOOK pen and ink washes,
2. PLEIN AIR PAINTER make your own paintbox.
3. PLEIN AIR - BEVERLEY AND THE LOW WOLDS
4. PLEIN AIR LANDSCAPES using a concertina sketchbook
5. HIGH WOLD BOOK from Warter to Thixendale- enquiries welcome via email below.
SEARCH FOR A LOCATION, PAINTING, OR ANYTHING ELSE
Tuesday, 25 August 2026
Beverley Grammar School .. founded 700AD
Here is an interesting little picture. It is significant as one of the first canvases I painted on my journey using a French easel. At this time, I was experimenting. This is using an acrylic on canvas painted en plein air from the Westwood. It shows the rear of BEVERLEY Grammar School with the White House at the side which at the time occupied by John Crooks a vet, and his artistic wife. John actually trained with Alf Wight famous author of the ‘James Herriot’ books. He set up Norwood Vets in Beverley in 1954 which remains in practice to this day. I love this painting, it reminds me of many things. I taught at the school for nearly 30 years and enjoyed every moment. I met many students and their parents and also made lasting friendships with staff at the school. The fact that it was founded in 700AD with links to Beverley Minster makes the school very special. The painting was produced using a 20x16 inch canvas on a simple tripod. In these early days of painting I made my own wet canvas carrier which could hold two wet canvases. I very much like the colours on this painting. The sky, in particular, the somewhat bleached grass reflecting the late time of year and the distant white reflections of buildings on the horizon. Below are some of my books reflecting my plein air work using either 12x10 or 14x10 canvas boards. The Plein Air Painter book is a comprehensive guide for making your own paint box, pochade box. All available from me, just email me for details.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment