SEARCH FOR A LOCATION, PAINTING, OR ANYTHING ELSE

Thursday, 23 July 2026

It’s all bananas!

Here is a drawing with a heavy hand. No subtle pressure or correction. 
I want you to do a quick sketch of a banana, which became two bananas. My idea was to show how simple they are to draw and add paint to. I set up the video camera to record, but something went wrong so here are two still images. The top one was done very quickly pressing down very hard using a pencil no correction and maybe one or two mistakes. Then I had a colour I looked at shadows. There is the obvious shadow on the surface from the two bananas but there are also subtle shadows on the bananas themselves. It is a good exercise to do, and you can eat them when you finish. 

A little more care.here with a little wet on wet. This was a little bit more for thoughtful, and I tried using wet on wet. The marks in the banana skin were too diluted so runny, so I let the skin I let the painting dry before adding the marks.
Have a go at painting a banana or two and remember to look hard at the shadows and the marks on the bananas they make a good exercise to develop our sense of looking. Of course other fruit could be used. I have used apples in the past, but here are a couple of bananas as requested by a friend. 

No comments: