Popped over to Thixendale to see if the wheat had been harvested. Crops here are usually a little later than the surrounding flat lands. The valley remains cooler meaning the crops take more time to mature. However, today the change from a week ago can be seen. The wheat is a darker shade, the hillsides slightly more bleached. Sheep transferred from behind me to the far hillside can now be seen, some sitting in the shade of hawthorn trees. Tall grasses have changed from dark seed heads to the colour of pale straw. This morning was quiet. The distant sheep keeping their own counsel. As my visit a week ago the dew pond is parched dry. On my way here I noticed the pond at Fridaythorpe is almost completely dry. Wildlife is struggling. At home I place several shallow dishes on the ground filled with water. It is a joy to see birds drinking, maybe hedgehogs will find the water at night. I would urge all of us to put water out, it could make all be difference for wildlife to survive, even bees, hover-flies and more insects take advantage, quietly sipping.
20th July 2026.

No comments:
Post a Comment