Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 May 2024

Sledmere House on May 1st 2024.

Pochade box painting, 12x 10 inch, oil on canvas board.

I travelled to Sledmere with the purpose of delivering a book to the small village school. Before this, I took George for a walk around the grounds at the same time looking for a view to paint. I saw this view of the House and thought it was well balanced. So I set up my tripod and pochade box. A problem of no water for mixing with the oil paints ( watercolour oils ) was solved by someone, also an artist from France. They were visiting to see someone who needed care help. So I started by outlining the House so that the tree on the right hand side would frame the view. I used two brushes which limited too much detail from being added, though I think it worked well. The noise of a small tractor came and went as horse manure was being collected by the garden staff. As I was finishing I saw Sir T S walking and we waved to each other before he continued towards the walled garden. Back at the car park I was pleased to see a pair of Frazer Nash sports cars. External handbrake, one had both aero screens and a windscreen, the other in a beautiful dark green, just a windscreen. Both cars had tonneau covers clipped down over their open cockpits. The dark green model had a wonderful bullet rear end. I stopped and talked to an elderly man about them, we both were very impressed. I drove off and stopped at the village school to leave them my book. Just before the school, at the bottom of a hill, I spotted a police speed camera van and quickly checked my speed. I was only doing 25mph so all was good.
 

No comments: