Search This Blog

Sunday 19 January 2020

Ryedale...South Farm, Stonegrave, North Yorkshire.


Though beautifully bright the temperature here was cold at 2 degrees.
Fortunately, I had my padded painters jacket on with the sun on my left, it felt quite comfortable. Nevertheless I worked quickly as I had decided to have lunch at the Worsley Arms in Hovingham.

Shadowed, dark, deep furrows
Fill with water and swamp this corner of the field.
Then, I realise this possibly, reflects the fact that the field access gate is in this corner, which might explain the deeper ruts.
I stand on the junction corner on a raised grass bank and set up.
The water near me is in the shadow of a copse and remains frozen. The water reflects the sky and in the distance the sun illuminates a grassy hillside. The cluster of buildings, of pale local stone seems distantly diminished yet they remain guardians of the land. Sunlight also illuminates the drier, sandy coloured soil, in contrast to that of the  foreground. As I paint I recognise the ' tschip, tschip ' sounds of the long tailed tit. I look up into the bright clear sky but cannot see them. They will have been an a large family group, moving from one tree to another, and for a moment I was confused as there were no trees in front of me. Then to my right I saw them, dropping down to a low hedge. I love the way they cling on to life especially in the cold winters when food is scarce. Their tiny size means they are particularly prone to dying of cold and, like many other small birds, will tend to roost together.

I checked the time and realised I needed to finish and get to the Worsley Arms for lunch. So, I gave George a short walk and then we drove over to Hovingham. There, I met Tony and we shook hands and I felt like saying  'hail fellow, well met'. He showed me to my table where I had something to eat before setting off back home, via the Spa Bakery where I bought a sourdough loaf.


No comments: