Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 December 2019

Ciao, una visita a Carluccio's a Beverley (a visit Carluccio's in Beverley)

Carluccio's....Beverley

I decided to brave the Victorian Festival
and headed for Carluccio's.
I noticed the jammed roads, as I walked closer to the town centre
Where people thronged the walkways,
Which now hosted, among others,
Groups of
Fantastically
Flamboyant
Steam Punk characters.

Entering Carluccio's,
I see a seething mass of like minded people,
Who are dressed for the cold weather,
Talking animatedly, they form
An anxious, agitated,
Queue which waits a little impatiently,
Near the invisible cold, draughty, open doors.

While they grudgingly read menus given to them as a possible distraction,
I spot an unoccupied table in the shop area,
It was a high table,
With matching high stools,
So I perch,
And look,
And listen
To the growing festive spirit.
"Can I get you a drink sir?"
I order a black coffee and begin to read,
Becoming an island in a turbulent sea.
I am next to a counter which is laden with interesting treats for sale.
Where I see PANFORTE, £10.95,
So I examine the ingredients
Comparing them,
As I have just made my first one, and see, oh dear,
I should have added almonds.
GRISSINI AL CIOCCOLATO, £11.95.
"We have a table here, will that be alright"
The elderly couple pause, but are tired of waiting,
TORRONCINI ASSORTITE £12.95.
I watch, as first,
The woman surveys the challenge,
She strains and feet dangling, heroically conquers Everest,
Soon joined by her jubilant,
Elevated husband.
CLEMENTE IN CAMICIA £17.95.
Staff fight their way through the crowded entrance area,
reappearing bearing panini, held above the waiting customers heads.
It looked like panini...but I'm not sure it is on the menu...something to check.
An insulated tide continues to flood in,
As others stear a way out, 
STELLINE DI CIOCCOLATO £14.9.
I am joined by a woman
And, being a gentleman,
Move my backpack from the spare seat,
Inviting her husband, it only seems right after all,
To sit and join us.
.
We are now a Fibonacci three,
So being Engineers,
We talk of art.
And how, our linear discipline
Can fight creation.
We talk of marine art
Recalling Stephen Dews,
Of an art tutor, "What's his name",
Neil Helyard?
"...Yes that's him."
FICHI AL RHUM £7.95.
Then we agree that
Untutored grandchildren can be very creative.
At which point I descend and leave,
Bidding fare thee well,
Then the precipitation reminds me,
So, 
I turn,
To find my engineered umbrella,
Being handed to me,
With a mutual smile through the still waiting queue.

*******
I like the sketch below. 
I sat at one side of Carluccio's looking over to a reunion or maybe just an annual meeting of old friends. It was very touching to see them welcome each other, they had a certain authority, a confidence, perhaps business men from a bygone age, an age of values rather than just short term profit....or, not as the case may be...(;o)

No comments: