Search This Blog

Monday 30 July 2018

Mill Farm, Cherry Burton, East Yorkshire.

12x10 inch, oil on canvas.
30072018
Mill Farm, Cherry Burton, East Yorkshire.
The morning rain was heavy as I walked George on the Westwood where the varied cattle conjoined to form dense numbers moving deceptively quickly as they fed. The rain eased to a fine, soaking mist, the temperature remaining comfortable at 19 degrees C. After the walk I drove to Cherry Burton, where I had an idea to do a painting of the Mill at Mill Farm. It is a disused Mill surrounded by outbuildings and two houses. One of the houses is called..... Mill Farm and is adjacent to the Mill. A friend had spoken to someone, who lives at the Mill, and asked if I could visit some time with a view to doing a painting. So, I confidently knocked on the door and a man appeared. He was very helpful and we chatted about the Mill. He asked me if I would like to see inside the Mill, which of course I did. He opened a large door and what a surprise. The outside appearance of the Mill, with no windows fitted gave the impression that it was an empty shell, I was expecting to look up and see the sky, but here, above me was a timbered floor held in place by massive oak beams. Closer inspection revealed the need for reinforcing steelwork which supported these beams, nevertheless it was impressive. A dust covered, vintage, Universal Mill stood sleeping, and, for a moment, I thought it had something to do with the Mill but the farmer explained that it was originally driven by belts from a tractor take-off. I was kindly allowed to wander the site, into the surrounding fields, past suspicious geese and chickens and, a scuttlingly furtive, moorhen. However it was difficult to get a good view. I decided to try from the nearby, disused railway. Aha, straight away I found a good view. I took George for a long walk along the disused railway line where he could run free and then back to the car for a drink.
I set up and started to paint.
A woman passed me with two dogs, one a large black Alsatian, we smiled at each other as I gave the dogs some space. The railway footpath is a useful conduit and more people appeared. A mother and her two young daughters came off the track and passed me and we had a brief chat before they moved on. The sound of horses made me turn round and what a sight. A beautiful large dappled grey horse was walking slowly down the track towards me. Though huge the horse moved deliberately, carefully, stepping along and guided by the lady rider. Behind, another beautiful, light brown horse followed, it being, I think, a little smaller. This second horse was leading a tethered pony. Again we exchanged a few words. A father on a cycle appeared next with his young son and daughter, both riding cycles. They passed me, down the sloping path to the level track. I heard the father explain that one way led to Market Weighton and the other way to Beverley. I think the young daughter decided on the latter route. Anyway, back to painting... then behind me more voices. It was the mother and her two girls again. They were returning, having walked to the nearby Field House Farm where they had bought ice cream. I had bought milk there before, unaware of their other temptations, something I will remedy very soon.  
I made a mental note.
The temperature was now climbing as the sun began to break through. I was having to stand, on flattened nettles in the long surrounding grass, and kept feeling as if I was being bitten. George was safely in the shade but I decided to finish and return to him, it was also provided respite from the biting insects.
Hope you like it.

No comments: