September 19th, second 12 x 10 ‘Sharpie’ sketch of the day, was made possible by sitting in a deckchair on the lawn. This was challenging, where should I start and would it fit in? I looked hard at the symmetry and was concerned that the right hand gable looked narrower than the left. But it appeared as shown, maybe it was some kind of perspective distortion? This image appears a little pink, the original is fine. Again, detail is limited to the essential information. The ‘Sharpie’ pen is not designed for detailing especially on smallish canvases. It was lovely to see people enjoying the bright sunny weather, wandering through the garden, bringing it to life. It had rained earlier so the change was very welcome. To my left up a slight incline is an apple orchard. Signs telling people not to pick them from the trees also stated that, fallen apples could be taken away. I popped into the cafe on the ground floor and had a …’vegetarian cream scone’ it was delicious. I like to visit Nunnington Hall if I am in the area. The car park is wonderfully shaded. It makes me remember George who died 17th April, I find I am missing him more and more. He was my last Briard, having had them for 50 years. He and my previous dogs loved walking the grounds, exploring, sniffing and taking in all the sights. We would cross the river which bounders the car park. Originally a flat wooden bridge, now it is superseded by a modern arching bridge, a composite structure of metal and wood. When crossing I pause and stare down looking for fish. Sometimes, if the water isn’t coloured I see some trout.
Acrylic on canvas board.
Books available
Art books featuring the Yorkshire Wolds ( Low and High) full of paintings done at various venues. Video here of the HIGH WOLDS book. Other books feature panoramic sketching using a concertina sketchbook, a Yorkshire sketchbook and how to paint plein air and make your own painting box


No comments:
Post a Comment