
Continuing my work with an A4 concertina sketchbook found me here at the excellent Michelin star restaurant. I am here on a Monday, early August. Monday is a day when the PNG is closed so I could sketch ( pencil with watercolour) in the garden without disturbing diners. I wanted to find a place where I could see the spire of St. Mary’s Church, the PNG conservatory but mainly the ancient yew tree. The weather had been very dry, hot sun had caused grass in an adjacent field to look like parchment.The yew, approximately 400-500 years old survives. It is much denser than shown here, though on close inspection evidence of damage can be seen, huge branches having been either cut or broken off. I have not included the patio furniture except to faintly suggest it in light pencil marks. I have a book featuring wide landscapes ‘ Plein Air Landscapes’ shown below. It contains many views, mostly pen and ink washes of East Yorkshire. The book has been well received and contains details of each painting. Email me for details.

No comments:
Post a Comment