Search This Blog

Sunday 8 September 2024

Heritage Day at a Kitchen Lane allotment, Beverley.


Today, the 8th September 2024 was Heritage Open day at the allotment. 
It rained in the morning and after taking George for his walk, and after FSD had bid adieu to an honoured visitor, we both walked down to the allotment, F with L, her canine guest. The weather had improved in the meantime meaning I could hang washing before setting off.  I carried my pochard box in a rucksack but after a busy morning I was not sur if I wanted to paint anything. However, at the allotment,  I visited my plot and decided on this view. My energy levels improved as I painted as it always does, so I carried on until this stage was reached. I stopped painting for a short break and visited F with L (dog). I was given a very welcome mug of coffee and a biscuit and we chatted about her visitor, who was now en-route for London. One of the jobs at my allotment was to recently tidy it up which resulted in the creation of a grass pile which also comprised old bits of wood, branches of raspberry canes and old bamboo. We can have fires again at the end of September so the pile will hopefully dry enough by then. Spoke to a couple who moved to Beverley from Cambridge, hope to meet again sometime.
Hollyhocks continue to flower standing tall and proud. The magnificent mallow have long passed and at the moment borage is still providing drifts of pale blue. In the vegetable main section I have sweetcorn, Turks turban squash, butternut squash, runner beans and lots of horse-radish, as well as some leeks.
The shed will survive another winter hopefully though my mind is turning towards a replacement.

The painting inside the pochade box.

 

No comments: