Search This Blog

Saturday 13 January 2024

Goodmanham Wold Farm, Yorkshire Wolds….


Slightly more worked up
Preparation oil sketch-painting - click image to see larger.



I saw this Wood, lit up by early sun and thought it would make her interesting sketch. I returned a couple of times to sketch with an iPad and sketchbook and confirming it would be worth painting. I returned again, with a large canvas, though as it was very cold with developing drizzle I couldn’t stay long. I wanted to get some detail down as quickly as possible deciding to use Indian ink and a paintbrush to capture the essential silhouettes of the trees. This worked well ( see the last picture below ). The notion of painting this woodland much bigger began to interest me, it is something I have done before which is a little different - I will investigate the idea using multiple canvases. On one visit I met J and J from the farm and we had a very interesting chat about the area and, as it turned out, familiar names from earlier sporting days as well as other local people ( from HBF ) and, in particular, some local views which I was unaware of. I thought I would add a pig to the picture, pigs are reared at the farm which is evident when downwind….This is very much a preparation painting and as such I am leaving it as it is. I will investigate one or two more views of this particular Wood before committing to a larger picture. The area here is quite elevated at nearly four hundred feet, on the road to Goodmanham meaning it is exposed to the weather, so I need to be careful when using a large canvas, especially from the wind but also, of course at this time in January, of  the cold.   
This canvas is 40x32 inch, oil on canvas using an underlayer of Indian ink.
Not for sale at the moment but enquiries of interest are welcome.

 
At the site, 



Detail

Detail

Detail

An interesting start using Indian ink and a paintbrush.









No comments: