Search This Blog

Monday 1 January 2024

All good at Goodmanham Wold Farm…last day of ‘23.


Up early and out walking George, saw this view after the walk and as I had my pochard box with me, I decided to quickly paint the scene. It was dry, though rain had been forecast, so I worked quickly. The great thing about being outside painting is that it involves you in the scene. Inasmuch as serendipitous meetings can happen which seem to filter into the painting so that, later when looking or indeed reading the painting, there appears invisible memories which enhance the experience. This may seem a little esoteric, however, when I look at this I will recall a delightful scene, a father holding two dogs on leads his  young cyclist daughters exercising along the quiet road. Farming odour wafted towards me on the westerly breeze, later confirmed as ‘pigs’.  The woodland on the right hand side of the road is due to be managed in the next year, with old rotten wood being replaced with new saplings. The strong winds of recent days combined with water sodden ground has resulted in many trees falling, in particular over roads and paths. Farmers are actively addressing this issue which is made worse by ash dieback it is sad to see hedges surviving without their sentinel trees which also provide beneficial mycelium. I am hoping I can capture some of the significant trees before they disappear. 
I soon finish and drive home via the small shop at Cherry Burton for essential supplies. Later, F prepared a lovely meal, a tangine recipe, before we both walked the lad again.
Available from my online store soon.
More Yorkshire Wolds paintings can be seen on my blog.




 

No comments: