Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 November 2023

Liege Hill and Black Planting near South Dalton, East Yorkshire.

Finished painting

Painting in pochard box at the site.


Detail 1

Detail 2





A painting near South Dalton. 
A lazy kite flaps on a sunlit, 2 degree, late November day,
It slowly alights a high branch becoming statue still.
Facing the sun, it sits warming its breast.
I disembark the car,  to look more closely.
The motionless bird is watched by a sentinel crow.
The hedge on my right is shade darkened.
The left hedge, in sun bright
Reveals autumn coloured leaves.
The late colours,
Orange, pale yellows, dead, straw coloured grass, and
Last summers dark knapweed heads
Waiting to cast their seed.
Black Planting ( the name given to the coniferous plantation on maps of the area) crests the far hill,
Sun highlights its tree tops, indicating their form
Above encircling grass meadows
Whose undulations create telltale shadows.


I started painting. Firstly outlining the composition with the road dropping to the junction, the position of the trees and then block in the pale cerulean sky. I notice a couple of walkers appear at the foot of the hill. They move over, disappear, near a plantation track on the left. Then, as I am finishing off, they climb the hill, stop, and we chat briefly. Then I spot a group of pale trees which I forgot to add and remedy this quickly. I sign the painting and pack up for home to get warm.

Available to reserve here at my online shop.

            **********************************************************************

Christmas present ideas. 

2024 Calendars now available here.

My sketchbook is also available here








No comments: