Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 July 2023

Bees, borage and a bench.

 
14x10 inch plein air, oil on canvas board

Detail

Detail

Detail

The sight of a borage field reminds me of the more transient linseed fields and to some extent distant fields of bluebells looking like rolling seas climbing the fells.  Borage remains in flower longer than linseed, indeed I had seen this field about a week or so earlier, so I pulled over and parked alongside Corporation Farm, crossed the road, limboed a red metal gate to this spot, just into the field. I could see Lund Church tower and some farm buildings in the distance which would add interest. Standing at the edge of the field I was close to a large ash tree. I always try to capture ash trees in situ as they are either falling down due to ash dieback or are being felled, especially where they could cause an accident. In other words they are disappearing from the landscape. This is a 14 x 10 inch oil on canvas board painting. The colours in the borage field varied considerably, the distant blanching reflecting the pinkish flower stems was a surprise, here and there, darker, shadowed areas could be seen, closer to me lots of pale green stems, leaves and lilac blue flowers. This is why it is important to paint at the scene when possible, you can observe the colours more accurately.

As I painted, bees buzzed industrially, inspecting every flower.
Richard, the agronomist from Frontier at Cranswick(?) parked alongside and came over for a chat. He pointed out how the borage tends to grow taller near the hedges nearby to mature trees, like the ash in this picture. We considered all the water that the ash would take up and thought it strange. But, perhaps being in the shadow of the ash the ground doesn't dry so much in the sun? Who knows, but nevertheless another interesting fact. After this painting, a detour towards Lockington found me walking George, on a circular walk where we saw dried up stream beds revealing earthenware drainage pipes before briefly stopping at a hidden bench ' In memory of Mum and Dad'. Back at the car I headed for Bracken, parked up and explored the Minster Way footpath, stopping at Kilnwick New Farm where a delightful range of old brick cart sheds and other buildings caught the eye. A chance encounter found me talking to A + S about art, bluebell woods and local farms whilst being observed by three hungry, semi feral cats. I will revisit and try painting the buildings and maybe sketching the scattered machinery. I left with a feeling of great warmth, meeting two generous people is doubly fortuitous but it was time to get back.




 ***************************************
 
My book of Yorkshire Wolds sketches is now being posted. Thanks to everyone who has purchased one, they have traveled to the USA, Europe, Canada and Japan…so if you want one drop me a line.


It is a limited edition with double page spreads which include notated sketches is now available from my online shop. A very short video of the book can be seen below..

Short video here. 

 Get yours today...before they are all gone.

No comments: