Search This Blog

Saturday 13 November 2021

...kites dreamily whirling over Millington Dale, Yorkshire Wolds.


 13th November 2021.

I set off a little later than planned, a sense of change gripped me, consumed with mixed emotions I drove towards the Wolds. What was it that distracted me? 

I did not have a plan today and turning off at Tibthorpe,  I was soon  passing through Huggate. So with only a couple of hours of decent light left, I found myself here, near Millington, just above Millington Wood. The serpentine narrow road from Huggate winds it's way through rolling hills, soft verges at either side of the road making for an anxious time. Blind bends necessitate reducing speed and tooting the car horn seems a prudent thing to do. You hope that nothing is coming towards you as passing becomes a 'heart in the mouth' job. Still distracted, I emerged out of this twisting roller coaster and park above Millington Wood and recall a recent visit.

..... the colours are beautiful, yet one feels a strong wind will strip the trees. Already the roads and paths are overflowing with bright, golden yellows and rust reds. This is a magical time.  Today the weather changed a lot, light misty showers caused me to shut the pochade box, to protect the water based oils. A couple drive past in a farm Landrover and I realise they are waving and smiling, then I remember,  we had chatted on the previous visit. A group of walkers came up the road having completed a long walk from near Millington. We had a lovely chat as four red kite soared nearby. The weather deteriorated quickly and I packed up. 

George had been a good boy, patiently waiting. 

I gave him some food, then a gentle walk before heading back home, 

Moving on,

Light leaving us.

I like the way this painting has turned out, it captures the changing colours and sense of place. Yet, it was difficult to complete as I remained distracted, perhaps thinking too much about uncertainty etcetera.

 This is my third 14x10 inch painting, oil on canvas board....email me for availability.

************************************************************************************

Just a reminder that my virtual exhibition, at the moment is

THE YORKSHIRE WOLDS


No comments: