Search This Blog

Saturday 29 June 2019

Looking towards Holme Wold House from near Holmedale Farm, near Holme on the Wolds.


This is a different approach, I set off with a large canvas 24 x 30 inches intending to 'experiment a little' . So here it is, I have used acrylic paint and applied the paint initially with a palette knife. It was a plastic knife, very cheap, with not enough offset. The shallow offset from the handle to the blade meant my hand was too close to the canvas which proved restricting. It was a dangerously hot day and I headed straight to a spot which I knew would be in shade. The distant building is Holme Wold House, nestled by trees, with a green barn some way off behind the copse. As I drove along the quiet straight, undulating road a pair of red kite hung in the air, twitching their forked tails, slowly circling near the house. The verges are mainly full of hemlock and hogweed with a flash of blue, geranium I think. Golden buttercups hang on here and can easily be seen in the long verge grasses. White clover grows profusely. Having applied some paint with the palette knife, I lightly scumbled the sky adding interest before working on the lower fields and verges. I have kept the picture loose, not too much working and using a very limited palette of primary colour.
Adjourning for a coffee at the Pipe and Glass I heard a curlew call. I looked overhead and had a good view of the bird with it's long curving beak. I heard it's haunting call which takes me back to childhood. The curlew is a special bird, not too common around here.

No comments: