Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 February 2019

Blea Tarn in the English Lake District


Now for sale
£350
40x32inch, acrylic on canvas, varnished.

I intend to run a workshop for an art group soon, and the subject is Blea Tarn.
I have created a video from a photograph, the video can be seen      here.

On the video I spend some time explaining how one can use a photograph to mark out the main elements of the picture keeping the proportions true without measuring.
I have used a large canvas, 40 x 30 inch and very basic acrylic paints, the sort one can buy at a general craft shop. There are elements which I could spend some more time on, and I might do later. The foreground in particular.
This view is famous of course and I have drawn it as a pen and ink sketch in the past. My favourite painting of this view is a watercolour by William Heaton Cooper. He simplified the subject and it looks wonderful. Years ago, I met William. It was early one morning in Grasmere, I had visited his studio, something I always did when on holiday in the Lakes. I had bought a new pad and was walking away from the studio when I met him. He had just left the nearby newsagents and we exchanged greetings. When I visited the studio last year, I was at first, disappointed. The intimate, tiny little shop area which sold artists materials had gone. Or...... so I thought. I soon realised the whole studio had been enlarged and the little shop where I bought my pads had been moved to another part of the studio. They even have a cafe now ... on the premises.

No comments: