Search This Blog

Friday 13 July 2018

Above Leavening, edge of the Yorkshire Wolds.

12x10 oil on canvas

This was the second painting of the day, earlier, I had been to Howsham Mill.

On the way home I stopped at the spot I seen earlier. I set up and started the rather ambitious idea of painting the view. Suddenly a screech of brakes and loose chalky gravel made me look across. Two apologetic men emerged and it transpired that they were pigeon fanciers. They were there to release some homing pigeons. Apparently they were young pigeons and only had a short distance to fly, but before releasing them the men scoured the sky. They were looking for hawks. They explained that their worst fear was that a peregrine might be about but in the end only a pair of sparrow hawk were seen. So the men synchronized their actions and released three crates of birds. Quite a sight.

 

No comments: