Search This Blog

Thursday 24 May 2018

Looking towards Lair Hill, East Yorkshire Wolds.

I did this this afternoon, Wednesday 23rd May. The previous evening I had seen the film, ' I Claude Monet' and had the idea of painting the grass verges on the Wolds. My plan was to be a lot looser and more impressionistic, suggesting the wild flowers and without a sky. As you can see, I failed miserably.
This is my first 20 x 16 inch canvas for a long time. I used an old French easel, with old tubes of oil paint, which resisted being opened. I also used, mainly, a small headed, hogs hair brush with a long handle. I used a much larger brush for the sky. I have tried to be less detailed yet still faithful to the scene. I need to try a lot more and look forward to developing a looser style...... maybe. One does need to keep challenging, revising, and inventing new approaches to 'looking'. I have exaggerated the sky here and I like it. I have suggested the presence of cow parsley and campion using daubs of colour. The field in front of me was very light soil, actually full of flint and some chalk. As I painted George watched, barked, got taken for short walks and chased his ball and seemed quite content. Yellowhammers sang and bird scarers boomed in the distance. I spotted a solitary figure, a farmer I think, walking over a bare flinty field inspecting it's condition for planting. These large bare fields make it easy to spot the occasional hare and I wonder about the young leverets, are they safe? Are they a target for the numerous buzzards? Questions, questions.

No comments: