Actually, this is the third painting of the day. I sketched using a sharpie pen and then add it acrylic colour all at the site. I used a 12 x 10 canvas board on which I had a Michael Harding ground, Pozzuoli red. I have painted this collection of trees several times, usually in oil and usually 12 or 14 x 10“. I did do a double large canvas sometime ago using a French easel. I think the canvases were about 3‘ x 2‘ but anyway the exercise today was to go to THIXENDale. I want you to update my iPad drawing of Thixendale. It has been an about three weeks, give-and-take since I was there. With the iPad sketch more or less finished I headed to Burdale, and did a painting near Raisthorpe. Then I drove to Burdale ( painting below) and did a sketch of the distant stable. On the way home, I did this one ( above). It is an interesting exercise to use a ‘Sharpie’ pen to sketch out these views, the thickness of the felt tip making detailing tricky which I think is a good thing. It makes one concentrate on the essentials. Then I added acrylic colour with a number 8 flat hog. It’s a nice way to get something done very quickly.
Here is the picture of Burdale the ash tree on the roadside on the right hand side looks well. It casts a long shadow across the field. A smaller ash tree hidden by the big one produces another shadow, telling me it is there. In the distance, the stable can be seen where in the past Nettie was stabled.
Click image to see a short video. Your chance to have your own copy



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for viewing, please leave a comment.