Search This Blog

Monday 13 July 2020

Near Enthorpe on the Goodmanham Road heading towards Middleton on the Wolds, East Yorkshire.





12th July 2020.

I set off in the afternoon to visit the area around Etton. My first job was simply to take George for a long walk, exploring new areas as well as familiar haunts where he could be off his lead. I noticed the grass verges had been cut where I had previously seen agrimony growing and was a little sorry to miss it.

Touring locally found me up on the high Goodmanham road and stopping near Manor Farm, I had my packed lunch listening to the final day of the first test match against the West Indies. The sun shone down, people cycled past in small family groups. I was touched to see some people I know from Beverley who cycled past with a marvelous trailer on which their son ( F ) sat, enjoying the views, relishing the sun and wind in his face, while sensibly wearing his helmet.

I moved off heading east, and stopped just past the Enthorpe junction, to my left the land gently slid down to Callace Dale. I had seen a beautiful flush of pink, a colony of rosebay willowherb growing out of the long verge grasses. Wild, pale blue cranesbill, or wild geranium was also standing tall, occasional pale blue scabious was also evident, all wonderful summer flowers. Walking through the verges I could also see woundwort, though now it was going to seed. White dead nettle   with it's nettle like cream flowers tempted me to, tentively, touch the leaves, which, to my relief did not sting. Buttercups flowered here and there though not in great numbers.

I set up and started painting.
Firstly a ground of pale umber then outlining the elements before starting to paint the picture beginning with the sky.
Grasshoppers sang, or, I suppose chirruped at my feet, yellowhammers sang and the cricket was reaching it's climax.



Here are some pictures of the stages.

Oil on canvas board
12x10 inch
£200
( Reserved )























2 comments:

John Geekie said...

Thanks for visiting

Anonymous said...

I love this picture. I was driving home that evening and saw an amazing light in the sky and I feel you’ve captured that. Wonderful!