Search This Blog

Thursday 7 November 2019

Above Weaverthorpe, East Yorkshire.

3rd November 2019.
A 12 x 10 inch oil on canvas.

After a wonderful rendezvous at Carluccio's in Beverley ...hmm...I decided to travel to Cottam to see the church. It is in a private field, in a distressed state having been unused for many years. The building is of typical stone design yet made of brick. It is situated in a particularly beautiful setting seeming to float on the crest of a wave as the Wolds undulate around it. I decided to return some day and paint it but access at this time was a problem. So, I drove over towards Weaverthorpe and parked near Rosemount Farm from where I did this view. The weather became colder forcing me to abandon the painting, though I think it still works, and head off for a coffee and to get warmed up. However, before setting off I heard a distant honking sound and looked up to see a long skein of geese heading my way. They were very high and moved relatively slowly meaning I could easily count them, sixty two in total. I always think it is magical to see geese pass over, they 'talk' to each other constantly, what are they saying? Mary Oliver would probably have suggested that they were sharing a joke. SOLD

No comments: