Search This Blog

Saturday 21 September 2019

Hull Art Circle, life drawing.

 9th September 2019.
As Autumn gets colder and the daylight shorter, my thoughts turned to another area.
Last Sunday I went on an ART WALK in the Avenues area of Kingston Upon Hull. It was very interesting to see artists displaying various works of art, in their homes and gardens. One in particular was very original I thought. It was framed abstract linear shapes with minimum colour, all rather original yet similar. They were large drawings, I guess A1 size, all very well framed, with light washes added,  indicating small heat gun peelings of paint stripped from skirting boards. The house  was being decorated after a new couple had moved in. The shavings were displayed on a large board being instantly recognizable in the large drawings. Abstract, yet with layers of history, how much history was a question as several layers could be detected. Of course all the shavings were slightly different,  yet connected, the effect was inspiring.
Anyway, I digress, during the Art Walk I was introduced to a group of people from the Hull Art Circle who mentioned that they had an evening life drawing class the next day, and why don't I come along and try it.  So, I went along to have a look. Suddenly, someone called my name and there was one of my Aunt's. It was lovely to see her and she explained how things were organized. So I popped out to my car and returned with a large canvas and some acrylic paints. As I did not have an easel, it was rather awkward to sketch out the picture with the canvas balanced on my knees and even more awkward when adding paint. Here is the result. Two hours flew by and was not quite enough time to finish,  so when I arrived home I continued to work it up. The model's arms had caught the sun which contrasted with the rest of her body.
Hope you like it.
Post note.
I was not happy with some elements of the body proportions and have painted over the whole picture.

No comments: