Search This Blog

Sunday 29 September 2019

A farmhouse near North Dalton, East Yorkshire.

21st September 2019.

Went over to North Dalton for an Open Studio visit to my friends, the Horspools, both multi-talented artists who run Vista Arts' who run very interesting art courses, visits and give talks about art. Whilst there I noticed a poetry event The High Wolds Poetry Festival, in the village hall. It was a brilliantly organized event, with inspired readings as well as superb food.

Nial Adams, museums manager from Beverley introduced the event and acknowledged various funding agencies involved.

The lowering
Evening September sun,
Shines stubble bright 
As cropped fields, 
Reveal shadowed furrows,
Serried perspectives,
Leading to a farm foreman's home,
It is surrounded by sheltering trees
Overlooking orderly bales,
Awaiting their fate.

Striding over a blank canvas of stubble
The farmers wife, 
Calls,
'Pepper'!
This way, 
Then is gone
Through a Nettleton'd  gate?

I left after a couple of hours to search for straw bales in the surrounding fields. It’s really too late as most have now been collected...then I saw this view....with a few of the round bales...
As I painted a car stopped and I met the farmer Tim N. who owned and let the house to one of his key members of staff. We chatted for a few minutes about the Humber Bridge, flora and fauna before he had to go. I saw no hares today but was reminded of the saying, that two adult hares can eat as much as one full grown sheep. As I painted, a young woman, Tim’s wife I think, called after her dog, a lovely black Labrador, who came over to me to say hello. As they walked off I added them to the picture.
A casual red kite floated over towards the trees, behind the house and I add it as another memory of the day. Funny really as Tim and I had just been talking about them.
Once finished I set off home and was pleased to see a weasel determinedly cross the road....safely.
#yorkshirewolds
#johngeekie
#woldspoetry
#eastyorkshireartists
#visityorkshire

No comments: