Search This Blog

Monday 11 March 2019

East Yorkshire Wolds, looking down Well Dale, off the Minster Way footpath.


Today, Monday, 
Was a significant day a year ago
And I wanted, 
Very much, 
To produce a picture as a memorial, 
In a way, 
Or at least something
 I could look back on
as a memory
 of the day. 

With this in mind, and the weather being bright, dry, though increasingly windy, I set off for the Roman road north of Warter. This road leads to elevated views which seemed relevant, and I stopped when I saw the Minster Way footpath sign. I walked a little way eastwards, just past Cobdale Cottage and saw this view. That would do, I decided, and returned to the car to give George a walk. We crossed the road and followed the footpath to Nettle Dale, another steep declivity leading down to Millington Dale and the Chalklands Way footpath.

It is a beautiful area.

Walking back I spotted a red kite near the highest part of the walk, I saw it drop and skim the adjacent field. I followed it as it reached Nettle Dale, where it was suddenly catapulted high into the sky, on the updraft from the strong westerly hitting the Dale end. I settled George in the car and walked over to the painting site. Quickly setting up the French Easel I made a start, loosely sketching out the main elements using French ultramarine on a grey ground. I then started on the sky working my way up from the skyline. As I worked in this empty, quiet space, a voice called my name. A lone walker, an ex colleague (LJ) from my teaching days at Beverley Grammar School came over and we had a chat. I love this kind of serendipity, unplanned, unexpected experiences which often happen when painting outside. It was a surreal moment and I enjoyed the interruption. As he moved on I continued to work up the hillsides, eventually deciding I had done enough and packed up. Though windy and cold, my location was wonderful, in a sheltered position out of the wind with the sun on my face.

Many of you who paint will understand the problem of bright sun behind the canvas and how it can shine through and make painting difficult. I always apply a ground to the canvas before setting off. Today it was a grey ground. As such, I had little if any, distraction from the sun.
As I started to walk away I stopped and looked, as another red kite flew across the Dale, effortlessly using the head-coming prevailing wind, to dance on long, elegant twitching wings. I completed the picture at the site and thus resist finishing it at home. Hope you like it, happy painting.

No comments: