Search This Blog

Saturday 15 December 2018

Filey Beach, East Yorkshire.


Using a palette knife and a only limited colours. I have wondered about palette knife painting and, over winter, intend to concentrate on producing more. This is a view of Filey beach looking north, the muddy cliff leading to the low breakwater of Filey Brigg. The man in the picture kept digging in the wet sand and, at first I thought he was looking for lug worms used for fishing bait. Then I realised he was also scanning the sand with a metal detector. The first time I had seen this. I traveled via train from Beverley as George was being cared for by someone else. The train ride was a novelty, across the flat lands of East Yorkshire. As the train passed through the agricultural landscape, frightened hares were seen running over rutted, rain soaked ploughed furrows. A huge grey heron flew lazily on broad wings from the track and over fields, segmented by boundary drainage streams. French partridge in small groups hurried towards cover near a lonely farmstead, where, in the garden a line of brilliant white washing hung optimistically on the bright, windless, day.  Arriving at Filey and passing the nearby bus terminus ( I thought about going on to Scarborough ) I walked towards the beach via the Filey Museum. The museum was closed but looks worth a vist. It is in a white washed building dated 1696. Unperturbed I walked to St. Oswald's Church. A low castellated, old building. This was also closed. It was a cold, but bright day and arriving at the beach, I found it largely deserted. Indeed very few beachside shops were open. The sun was bright which made looking southwards difficult as the reflected sun off the wet beach was dazzling. So I looked east and looked at the massive sky, being especially pleased to see it reflected on the wet sand.
Hope you like the picture, keep on painting.

No comments: