Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 June 2016

Beverley Minster

Pen and ink sketch, 17 inches by 12 inches.


This is an old sketch I did some time ago on a pen and ink sketch board which a friend passed on to me. The paper is glued to a stiff board which, as well as keeping the paper flat when colour washing, means that it is simply easy to hold when sketching.
I remember setting off on my old Moulton bicycle and stopping near a tall old brick wall, off Keldgate. I propped up the bike and set about sketching. The challenge, well there are several really, is to get the Minster detail correct. Indeed the detail at this end, the west end is a little challenging to get right but I am pleased with how it came out. I have never added paint to this sketch and after initially pencil shading, I have in fact cleaned it up by carefully removing most of the shading. As I was finishing off a chorus of jackdaws made me look up, the jackdaws were dancing in the air around the two towers and so I quickly added them to the picture. I am not sure they remain as recently a pair of peregrine falcons have nested on one of the towers.

Original for sale, £50.

Just to add, we have peregrine falcons nesting on the south tower, I saw some them recently, July 2017.

No comments: