Search This Blog

Monday 21 July 2014

Westwood, Beverley and Black Mill

plein air oil on canvas 12 x 10"
Wonderfully hot day and, on the Westwood, the grasses contrast with the manicured fairways. This was done early evening as the temperature dropped. The Westwood is a common pasture with pasture masters maintaining the grass and fencing off trees to make it safe for the free roaming cows. The cows have a wonderful time roaming across the huge pasture. The variety of cows reflects the small number that each freeman of Beverley buys at the different markets. Tonight we saw Highland cows with large horns, lots of other cows large and small, in a range of browns, creams, black and white. Occasionally a cow will give birth which is special. Belted Galloways, looking like a zebra crossing always make me smile. Black Mill has recently been painted and looks wonderful. A couple of trees exist to the right of the mill which I have left out as I think the mill is the main focus here. I have also painted this with a high horizon so I could indicate more foreground grasses.
H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G.

No comments: