Search This Blog

Thursday 13 February 2014

Looking north along Long Lane, Beverley.

Plein air oil on canvas 12 x 10" NFS Enquiries
Today we are lucky. Though very cold it was sunny and mid-afternoon, after restocking the bird feeders I was tempted to paint. Though wearing a padded jacket and an old waxed jacket the cold was penetrating. On the walk to this venue I stopped and spent a few minutes watching a large dog fox walking in a paddock, occasionally scent marking, it wandered off exploring a distant hedge bottom. Further on, I decided to stop along Long Lane.  This view is always interesting, as the seasons' pass they change the colours, and on a bright sunny day, these are highlighted. The fields open up at this point on Long Lane and I found the winds threatening the stability of the pochade box. I spotted a small resilient shrub and although leafless it provided some shelter from the wind. However, as usual when the sun is setting the temperature plummets and I was forced to pack up. Could have detailed this a lot more yet one needs to be aware of the temptation to overwork and so I think the weather helped me to say STOP. Beverley Minster remains a constant inspiration standing proud, dominating it's parish.
H A P P Y  P A I N T I N G

Detail 1

Detail 2

No comments: