Search This Blog

Monday 21 October 2019

Woodland painting. Beverley.


18th October, 2019.

Decided late afternoon to take George to Burton Bushes, the ancient wood on the Westwood, Beverley.
We headed for the hawthorn which I used, to do a workshop for the Hornsea Spectrum Group. I was pleased with everyone's progress and how, though we had a common task, their interpretation varied resulting in an interesting set of work.
We found the hawthorn and looked at it for some time. Then we set off deeper into the forest and came across this view. The sun was highlighting the tree forms in an interesting way. At this time of year as the sun gets lower and the days shorten so catching the light gets more difficult. We stopped and I rubbed leaf litter into the white canvas, then sketched directly onto the canvas making notes about colour, light and shade. George soon got bored and started barking. He was telling me to find a stick, and to throw it for him. I put the canvas down on the ground, and in his excitement he trod on the it, as you can see above.
I like this.
He had actually contributed to the painting.
I found myself also liking the form of the fallen tree in comparison with the straight vertical branches of the shrubby tree behind it. As the sun pierced the canopy lighting up leaves and dappling the ground George continued to play, fetching his stick. It was a lovely session, the recent rain has made the paths muddy and slippery and here, inside the forest, the fallen leaves sit on damp soil. The weather deteriorated, yet the rain held off and we returned to the car.
I added some paint that evening before finishing it today.
Hope you like it, I intend to do some more and build up enough to augment my 'Year in Burton Bushes' exhibition.

With colour added.

No comments: