Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 October 2019

Life drawing, male figure.

23rd September 2019.
I joined a much busier life drawing class for this exercise.
In my haste I had taken some different paints and forgotten my paper towel... but I had time to buy a packet of fig roles before the class started....The session is split into two halves and now I appreciate this, I have a plan.
Basically sketch the figure quickly and then race to add paint. The sketching I am finding is extremely important as, after a break, the figure resumes in ...not...just... the same position. Which is a little challenging as shadows and relationships change subtly. But this is part of the challenge I guess, so for me, the initial sketch is really important. Having painted the figure on the night, just two hours, I added the black background at home. Another point is the importance of lighting. It is so different to see the colours in daylight, and I must be more aware of this when painting under artificial light. This is the second attempt at painting nude figures and I am starting to appreciate and enjoy the intense observation which is needed but as well, to meet other artists.

No comments: