Search This Blog

Thursday 3 October 2019

Hornsea Sailing Club. Sketches of the clubhouse, free to download.

Two more quick pen and ink sketches for you all to download and add colour. I thought of doing these on the spur of the moment after visiting the Spectrum Art Group at Hornsea. Popping down to the Mere for a sandwich and to walk George, I saw the Sailing Clubhouse and thought a couple of light touch sketches were in order. As I sketched I heard loud plops from behind me as a fish, perhaps being chased, leapt out of the green, discolured water.
I would like you to download and colour them in the manner of John Harrison, who was mentioned to me this morning by a fan of his. Indeed he is to give a talk / demonstration locally in November. 
For me, I would add colour to the trees in both pictures, the boat masts being highlighted by being left white. Also, perhaps a touch of light yellowy / green grass.  But not to colour everything. Anyway, good luck and I hope you enjoy downloading these two sketches. 
Originals on A5 sized paper.
I love it when people come over and chat. Today I met SF and friend Jane, who had come along to relax and paint looking over the Mere. After another cup of tea ....ahem... and a cream scone. tut tut, I joined them to see how they were getting, but also just to enjoy having a talk. Looking over the Mere we could see lots of birds, gulls and coots mainly, a swan and one cygnet. Then, the wonderful distant view of a very large egret, indeed, now, I know it was a Great White Egret, a screaming ghostly white against the dark tree shadows. At one point a heron, looking smaller than the egret, chased it away. In total from our viewpoint just outside the cafe we could see two of these dramatic birds. A man standing a few feet in front of us, carrying a camera with an enormous lens was taking pictures of a diminutive, Little Gull. The gull kept flying in circles near us settling at times on a mooring post.
It was a wonderful sunny afternoon and the Mere glistened white in the distance. Loud mechanical noises occasionally disturbed the peace as a large mechanical digger with some kind of flailing head was masticating quite mature trees in some sort of shoreline maintenance.




As you can see from the pictures below, adding colour can make quite a difference, even a small amount of colour can enhance the picture. Have a go yourself.




No comments: