Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 October 2019

Hawthorn tree from a Beverley wood.



Something different, 
here is a drawing which you can see being done as a black and white pen and ink wash, followed by adding colour. Video links below.
I have done this and created a short video as I prepare for a demonstration with the Spectrum Art Club over in Hornsea. This precedes some dedicated pen and ink work I hope to do with them later. Never used acrylic ink before and it has been a joy to experiment with.  I lightly drew out the main elements of the picture first, in pencil, before using a .... Sharpie pen!
Then I applied diluted ink to create background tones before inking in the darker areas on the tree. I continued to add leaves but was aware to leave areas of light as I intend to attempt an acrylic wash later. After testing the ink, I realize it is the Chinese version of Indian ink, which should be noted, is not waterproof. So, with this in mind I will need to be careful when adding acrylic washes, in fact, I think a quick coating of varnish will help before adding colour. This should prevent the picture from smudging. I will test a small area first......

Well, I decided to go ahead and add colour after testing a small area which did not smudge when I added colour. You can see this here



No comments: