Search This Blog

Thursday 2 May 2019

Lake District, Old Dungeon Gill and a Blackthorn study.


I had one canvas with me on this visit.

My main reason for visiting was not to paint, but to follow up on a promise for my deceased wife. This achieved, I found myself traveling to Grasmere, and then on to The Old Dungeon Gill Hotel in Langdale. I set up my French easel and very quickly painted this view showing the stone barn. It is a 20x16 inch canvas and I worked very fast as I needed to travel back to Seatoller for dinner. Consequently, the painting has not been overly detailed. I used a black ground on the canvas which worked well regarding setting out the view before working on it.It was late tea time and the day was beautiful and bright and I think this comes across in the painting. The photograph has some reflection, especially on the tall trees to the right hand side which is a little disappointing and so I may post a better picture later.



When in Grasmere I must always visit my favourite place, the Heaton Cooper Studio. I noticed a linen canvas a little smaller than my 20x16 and used it for this picture. It is a study of a bright, almost luminescent blackthorn with another below it. I started to paint using my water soluble oils and then realized that it was raining slightly, affecting the paint. I quickly unfolded an umbrella and juggled about with brushes and some rag and persevered. I loved the way the brilliant white flowers on the blackthorn seemed to shout, 'Look at me". Nearby, lambs bleated and would suddenly run with stiff rear legs, gathering in little groups to explore their new world. This view is on the access road to Thorneythwaite Farm. A hard standing, parking area, provides excellent parking and for a reasonable  £3 which one places in an honesty box. I spent a little more time on this painting and could have continued but then remembered that I had to be in Rosthwaite in half an hours time.

When setting off for home I stopped at the Theatre by the Lake car park where I bumped into Colin Halliday who was running an art workshop. I walked over to Friars Crag and saw the students standing in a circle around Colin as he gave an excellent palette knife demonstration. I chatted and stayed some time before rushing off to Grasmere for another appointment. I returned to Keswick on the way home and saw the artists working on their paintings. As Colin had instructed they all were using palette knives and having great success. So, to Keith and his wife, Pam from the IOM, the lady from near Derby, the young lady from London and to all the others, it was lovely meeting you and best wishes for the rest of your course with Colin. Please contact me if you feel I can help in any way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have exquisitely captured the sun's movement along the rolling hills. I've enjoyed looking through your paintings immensely.