Search This Blog

Monday 1 April 2019

Yorkshire Wolds, Birdsall Dale.

It was Mother's Day today and so I thought it a good reason to get out and paint....a decision which was complicated by the volume of traffic on the usually, quiet roads; also being a Sunday, when families 'do' Sunday lunches added to the traffic.  Not to be frustrated, I made some detours and eventually arrived, not far from here, at Huggate where I stopped, hopefully to get a sandwich.... impossible, it was 'Mothers Day'.. no tables, no sandwiches, .... but then a small table became available. I sat next to two similarly minded people who just wanted a snack and we eventually all chose Parsnip Soup. It was a good choice. While we ate the soup there was a constant procession of huge plates laden with copious amounts of calories, oops, I meant food, in the form of, the roast of choice, topped with several Yorkshire puddings passed by. They were followed by large tureens of vegetables. My new friends and I looked at each other, we admired the appetites of the diners.
After this, I set off for Thixendale and just had to stop at the refurbished village Hall.... when I saw a sign for tea and low calorie, raspberry, cake. The diversion turned out to be informative, as I spotted a Ordnance Survey map which was titled 'Thixendale", I must get one.
I left and drove down Water Dale, looking for a suitable view, before turning round and stopping when I saw the view above. At this end of the valley it becomes Birdsall Dale. Just over the light coloured, gorse laden hill is a hidden Brownmoor Dale. The road twists and winds it's way through Water Dale and Birdsdale and I have concluded it is indeed the prettiest area, especially to drive along. As I painted, a red car stopped and we chatted about painting and the beauty of the place. They had traveled from York and so I hope they see this now it is finished.

SOLD

No comments: