Search This Blog

Saturday 6 April 2019

Thixendale area.



I traveled towards Thixendale with the intention of taking advantage of the dry, bright weather and, to stay out all day. I stopped above Thixendale, near Gill's Farm, just before where the road drops steeply to Thixendale. I started to paint the scene of the Dales and, to include two farms. In fact the lower farm is Fotherdale Farm, the home and studio of Robert Fuller. Robert is an amazing wildlife artist creating highly accurate and detailed pictures of birds in particular. His studio is well worth a visit. I did not have time today myself, but will pop round soon. Talking of wildlife, can you see the hares in the picture? They moved through the rough, dead, tall grass before sitting and listening with ears pointing upwards. This picture was tricky to set out as the hillsides are quite complex, yet also subtle in places. When painting a local man walked past with his little dog, a small white poodle, I think. It reminded me of Tina, a similar sized black poodle which my wife owned before we were married. She was a real, independent, tough little character who lived to a great age. Anyway, I digress. A couple of walkers came over and we  chatted about the view and how wonderful it was, especially on this sunny day, I pointed out how detailing the painting was difficult as the wind kept making the canvas flap, just as I applied a delicate line. I completed the painting and may add a little fine detail when back at home.

No comments: