Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 April 2019

Holmedale Farm, near Holme on the Wolds, East Yorkshire.

I liked the sky in this view of Holmedale Farm. By placing the farm to the right hand side, the happy coincidence of the diagonal cloud formation seems to emphasizes the farm. I spotted the view and at first was a little reluctant to try it as, the view from this angle did'nt reflect the farm's elevated position. Nevertheless I like it. It had been a wonderful, sunny, still, day and I started this painting late just before dusk. I climbed over the fence, into the field, being careful to avoid the bird droppings and set up. For once, I had brought along some headphones and listed to Bryan Ferry as I painted. It was still and warm, even at this time and I painted in my tee shirt and straw hat. As I painted I would stop and wave the brush about in time with the music, my back to the road. Something made me turn round, just in time to see a horse rider passing, after having stopped, and I think, taken a photograph. In this quiet, empty place it must have seemed strange to see me there, in a field, waving my brush about. I finished the painting, folded up the French easel and lifted it over the five bar fence. I leaned it against the fence intending to then climb over and put it in the car. As I let go of the easel it fell over.... onto the grass, painting side down!!! I quickly jumped over the fence and with a degree of trepidation slowly lifted it up. To my surprise it was not badly marked, just some light marks with small detritous here and there. I carefully, lightly brushed it off and to my relief it was okay. Apparently the grassy side of the fence masked a very localized steep slope which was the cause of the easel flipping over. Never experienced this before. So, lesson learnt.

No comments: