Search This Blog

Friday 29 March 2019

Yorkshire Wolds, evening view from Wold House Farm, Lund.

Wold House Lund. Oil on canvas 12x10 inch.
 Wednesday 27th March, 2019.

Today, the anniversary of my wife's funeral, I attended a memorial to my great friend, Ivar.  And feeling rather reflective after the event decided to try a painting. Grabbing my pochade box I set off for the nearby Wolds.

Turning off the main road, opposite Lund village, I passed Corporation Farm, where a hard hatted student of equine sports was jumping over low fences. Passing Vicarage Farm, I slowed as a farmer was loading a hopper on the rear of a tractor. On the grass verge there were more bags,  huge,  bulging bags , full of some treatment waiting their turn to be applied to the land. I stopped opposite Wold Farm and quickly set up as I only had a few minutes before the light went.
In the distance I could see the Goodmanham road, it bisected the the land with Lair Hill on the right and Money Hill on the left. The light blue grey sky was changing quickly, an animation of evening colours. I realised in my rush to set off that I was a tube or two short of colour. However I continued as sometimes it may be a good thing to use a very limited palette. Whilst painting, cows in a field across the road called out loudly, not sure why. So, here it is, a little rushed and of the moment. As it got darker, it became rather cold and I was glad to pack up, and take George for a walk.
Then to the Pipe and Glass for a nice, hot coffee.

No comments: