Search This Blog

Friday 1 March 2019

Looking over Great Dug Dale

12 x 10 inch oil on canvas
A grey, sunless misty day, mild and still, tempted me to drive to the Wolds again. I visited the pond at South Dalton, walked around it looking for a view to paint. I think I need to get here earlier when the light is better. As I pondered whether or not to try a painting I noticed a large black and white duck emerge from a field up an elevated bank. It slowly descended the bank threading it's way through early daffodils and reached the road. It paused, looked both ways and crossed, now at the edge of the pond, which was lower than the road, it braced itself, shuffled and jumped down. The water apparently was too shallow, so it had to wade out a little before paddling off as a loud honking, powerful flying goose, became airborne. Back in the car I passed through Holme on the Wolds, and stopped at Goodmanham for a Fiddlers Stick coffee....ahem....and cake. Eventually I found myself driving along a quiet road near Loaningdale. I parked with a view over Great Dug Dale and took George for a walk. We walked alongside a narrow woodland, exclusively beech with the fields on our left. Interestingly the field margins had been left which I was pleased to see. This rough area with some old brassica plants would provide nesting cover for birds and also shelter for other animals. We walked up to Shiptondale Farm before returning and beginning to paint.The mist bleached the colour from the distant hills though the faintest suggestion of hedges could just be seen. I decided to paint with a palette knife to to get the essential blocks of colour before using a brush for detail.
Packing up, after feeding George, I saw the silhouette of a red kite with its maneuvering forked tail effortlessly skimming over the tree tops of the adjoining wood, Farberry Plantation.
On the way home I stopped at the Pipe and Glass at South Dalton. Though early, most tables were full with loudly speaking diners. I found a table and had a coffee. A pleasant couple sitting next to me raised the question of the 'dominant leg'. Intriguing. We shared one or two thoughts before I headed off home.

No comments: