Search This Blog

Friday 8 March 2019

East Yorkshire Wolds looking south towards Holme Wold House and South Dalton.

12 x 10 inch plein air oil on canvas.

8th March, 2019
The forecast was for rain and high winds in the afternoon.
So, with this in mind I set off early...ish to look for another 'Wolds' view. I passed a hovering kestrel, magically dancing on invisible air. Driving along narrow lanes, the verges are still devoid of any wild flowers, though elsewhere in more sheltered locations celandine, violets and anemones can be seen. I park up and put my wellingtons on and take George for a short walk before starting to paint. I find a view that includes the spire of St. Mary's at South Dalton. All is quiet, until, a skylark begins to climb high into the sky, it shares cascading trilling’s of joy, happiness and hope. I quickly sketch out the view using French ultramarine on a darkish ground. I want plenty of sky to work with today, so I mark out the canvas accordingly.  I notice some sheep, they appear to be on the crest of a nearby hill. The rain is holding off but the wind is strengthening as I work. I do not see many birds, or hares or deer today and I soon decide I have done enough. I pack up and drive go to the Pipe and Glass for a coffee. Today, a Friday it is packed and no places are available so I decide to walk George again. When I return it is still full and I decide to sit on a stool at the bar....but still order coffee. One of the staff tells me that today the Holderness Hunt started from the inn. It was the first time she had seen the Hunt and was quite amazed by the spectacle.
I finish and, after seeing one of my ex students and her son and mother, drive home via Etton and Cherry Burton. However, just before Cherry Burton, on top of the disused railway bridge the road was completely blocked. The Hunt covered the road; the elevated silhouettes of the riders provided an interesting and dramatic sight against the skyline. I stopped and walked past cars parked on the verges, to the nearby junction where supporters looked across the fields. The Hunt moved off, without incident, along the disused track. I followed the supporters and traveled to Etton, then to South Dalton, eventually leaving them to the west of Holme on the Moor.  I stopped and had a chat with a hunt supporter and we talked about art and David Hockney before driving home. I met several horse riders who, without exception were polite and courteous. The hounds enthusiastically followed their whipper in(?) like a disciplined shadow floating over the terrain . I am ambivalent towards the Hunt though I respect the varying views of others who see this as cruel. Today, it seemed the main outcome was the riders had a good adventure through some beautiful countryside. The riders, men and women of all ages, wore a variety of apparel. red coats, tweed jackets though mainly, the usual black jackets and the horses all looked magnificent. I was especially impressed earlier, when I had seen some of the mounted horses easily leaping over fences.
Hope you like the picture.

No comments: