Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 March 2019

East Yorkshire Wolds looking towards Holmedale Farm.

What a windy day. I set off hoping to produce another Wolds picture but as I traveled to the area it began to rain. I stopped up near Wold House Farm and walked into a field where the wind was very strong. Exploring a little more I found some shelter in the lea of an enormous manure heap. Fortunately, it was mature manure (;o), and did'nt smell. I gathered my French Easel and put an extra coat on and set up to paint. The crops are still very short and as such, seeing any wildlife is made easier. In the distance, a long legged hare nibbled the lush new growth. Overhead a red kite, head down,  circled on flat motionless wings. I started this picture when the sky was darker but finished it as the weather improved slightly. Every now and then, shafts of sun would light up the fields. In this place the only noise is from the singing wind, it has a quiet beauty which changes it's clothes as the season progresses. The sun continued to fight back the dark clouds and forced the showers away as I painted. I stop as three buzzards wheel overhead on broad angled wings. A pheasant calls in the distance and I see a partridge scuttle, into, hedge bottom safety. I look up, checking the view, I stand still as, in the distance, maybe half a mile away down at the bottom of the rolling hill, I see, six mature deer grazing. I stand and watch them approach and then pass through a hedge. I have tried to add a suggestion of their presence on the picture, can you see them? As I pack up and walk back to the car a pied wagtail lands near me, I stop and watch it. And yes, it is walking. Someone told me that pied wagtails are the smallest bird in the UK which only walks. And, sure enough, I have never seen one hop. I also notice a van pull into the adjacent field, I watch as a man gets out and walks into the growing crop, where he bends down to examine it. He most probably is an agronomist, checking to see if any necessary treatment is needed. I drive round to the Pipe and Glass at South Cave and walk George before popping in for a pot of tea and a sandwich. Outside I stop to talk with a gardener and we share views on pruning. Inside it was good to see, and have a short chat with, someone I haven't seen since last year.

No comments: