Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 March 2019

East Yorkshire Wolds, Holmedale Farm from Goodmanham Road.

A later start found me on the road to Goodmanham.
Just before the turn off for Enthorpe, I stopped and walked George along quiet grass verges. The verges, at this exposed height are still waking up,  unlike the lower, sheltered sites, there are few signs of spring and many fields remain freshly tilled, revealing lots of flint among the soil.
The call of a plover made me look up.
I saw a sight which took me back to my childhood, a lone plover was flying on square, blunt, black plated wings and would suddenly tumble down, accelerating down, to ground level, whereupon it immediately climbed again repeating the manoeuvre, calling as if to say, "look at me". As a child I would see hundreds of plover take to the sky and perform this courtship display. It is so sad that their numbers are reduced. Standing on the edge of the prepared light brown speckled field I watched a pair of hares chasing each other before running off. A pair of buzzards could also be seen in the distance soaring and criss-crossing each other. Close by, a glimpse of a yellow hammer, but no " a little bit of bread with and no cheeeeese" which surprised me, but again perhaps it is a little too soon. The farmers were spraying the fields today with huge, articulated, extending rigs. I always like to keep well when they are doing this.
I set up the easel to realize I had left some things at home and even contemplated not trying anything. However, I assembled the french easel and started with the intention of at least laying out the picture. The late afternoon light was beginning to go as I hurriedly finished before heading off to the Pipe and Glass for refreshments. I think the forecast for tomorrow is fair and so I will return and set up again as I think the picture needs some foreground interest as well as a teeny little refinement.
Well I went back and the weather was amazing, very hot and little wind.
 I like this better now. The foreground, tall grasses are shown as well as some little refinement elsewhere. When walking George today I noticed trodden pathways in the verges, leading to gaps in the hawthorn hedges. When I looked at the ground I saw what I expected, deer prints. Earlier when painting at a nearby site I had seen deer, at a distance, 'appear' to walk straight through a hedge.  The sun also brought out this bee which managed to find a solitary dandelion.
Hope you like the picture.

No comments: