Search This Blog

Saturday 16 February 2019

Kirby Grange Farm, Sledmere, East Yorkshire.

16 February 2019



 Sketch with the sky being added.
12x10 inch, oil on canvas. Part of the "Wolds Exhibition"
Ha ha, it has been an unseasonably, wonderful sunny day for February.
Bright sun, blue skies and even warm, for the time of year.
After walking George and rewarding myself with a coffee at Carluccio's, in Beverley, I decided to get my French easel out and try a plein air painting. With this in mind I set off, heading north into the Wolds. After passing bright, neat, regiment-ally drilled fields and spotting, unusually, full grown sheep put out on brown tilled soil ( What were they eating? Have they been gathered for lambing? ), I stopped just north of Wetwang. Exploring a path which bisected fields I could see the squat tower of Garton Church in the distance. I recalled visiting last year and marveling at the superb wall paintings. It was too far away however, to consider painting and so George was walked a little further. Driving towards Sledmere the road descends dramatically passing by a copse on the left. Flashes of white illuminated the dark wood floor. Thousands of snowdrops  cascaded down the steep bank up to the road edge. Wonderful. Also, I noticed, significant trees in the hedgerows provided locations for clusters of snowdrops, I wonder why this happens. Dropping down and passing steeper flanks of hidden valleys the snowdrops resembled tumbling waterfalls. I approached Sledmere and turned left, towards Duggleby, still heading north. Soon, I spotted this view. Kirby Grange Farm. The Wolds are high here, and, as I stopped and got out of the car the wind was strong, and cold. The elevation is getting on for 700 feet above sea level which helps explain why it is so windy. I parked at the entrance to Towthorpe Wold Farm. I could see evidence of recent farming activity and was careful to park at the edge of the entrance thus allowing heavy plant to pass. I set up the easel in the lea of the car. I then lightly sketched the view onto the canvas and started painting.Trees surrounding the farm were highlighted by the sun, revealing a range of subtle colours. The serried ranks of trees on the skyline provided a veil of wind protection, so important at this elevation. The wind was causing problems forcing me to move the car for more protection. My fingers were getting very cold in spite of the bright sun causing me to hurry. Suddenly, a farm vehicle  pulled over and stopped. It was a local farmer, Rob. We chatted and his initial concern about me being there disappeared. He told me that at this height he could see the Humber Bridge lights and indeed some big buildings in Hull. As always, here in the East Riding, I find that the farmers are always supportive and pleased to see me and talk, especially when they realize I respect their work that I follow the country code. The beautiful Wolds reflect all their hard work and mirror their sound husbandry. I hope the current European politics doesn't penalize them in the future. I finished the painting and headed home via the Pipe and Glass for a coffee. Dusk approached as I drove away from the Pipe and Glass, and just after  passing the village pond I braked  slightly as two confused hares hesitated, standing still on the road before disappearing through a field hedge. Then, approaching a junction the pale shape of a barn owl flew low, quartering the road margins. Wonderful end to a productive day.
 I'll stop here...... thanks for reading this far....and HAPPY PAINTING.

No comments: