Search This Blog

Thursday 6 December 2018

St. Augustine's Church, Hedon, East Yorkshire.

St. Augustine's Church, Hedon.
There is something awe inspiring about being inside a beautiful church.
Here, at Hedon, , St. Augustine's Church "The King of Holderness"is one such place. This painting took about three visits to sketch out the detail and I can thank JJ for her help with access. The Church has a nice, open, feel about it. The lovely view down the nave to the transept and the east window is uninterrupted by organs or screens and is the better for it. On one occasion when sketching I was kindly given a cup of tea to help me keep warm. On my last sketching visit the organ was being serviced and I was introduced to the men and we talked about art and the sketch I was making. As they walked back to the organ the man working on it asked if I would like to hear it. WOW, it was amazing. I expected a simple tune up of the pipes. But I was amazed to hear a note perfect rendition of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, ( click link to hear it ) it was absolutely brilliant. It is certainly a special organ at Hedon. As I was finishing a loud banging on the door heralded the arrival of the actual organist. He had come to practise for a piece he was playing on the following Wednesday when a new vicar was being installed(?). He was initially frustrated by not having the sole access key, I had that, a new system has just started regarding getting the key. Anyway, we were soon all laughing and sharing thoughts. The organist was happy to be able to explain a slight tuning problem to the men who were there working on it and we left together, leaving them to it.
Hope you like the picture, if you get a chance to hear the organ at Hedon do try and go.
Happy painting everyone.

No comments: