Search This Blog

Monday 17 December 2018

December Woodland, Beverley.

 Another palette knife sketch. I took George into the wood known as Burton Bushes on the Westwood pasture, Beverley. I also took a large canvas, 18 x 24 and found a place to sketch, directly onto the canvas, using pencil. My intention being to work it up solely using a palette knife. Here is the result. I now realise that painting trees using a palette knife is rather difficult. Nevertheless it is worth progressing. The application of thick paint makes a change from the usual brush method and some very interesting effects can be achieved. Whilst painting this up I was made aware of some sad news relating to a relative, and so I was thinking, as I worked on this, of the times I had visited, too long ago, and how I always enjoyed our chats, and regretting not seeing him before he died. I remember his enthusiasm regarding working on church clocks and how he would share and explain various devices he had made,to help him maintain the clocks.  He loved being in his garden workshop, near the sea. So this picture will always be remembered as the 'WT' picture. RIP WT.

No comments: