Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Slingsby Castle - sketch 2

I travelled to Castle Howard on the day before to visit the House to see a preview of the Christmas decorations. It started by walking down the long, dark drive to the House, either side of the narrow road being lit up from the illuminations from the large Christmas trees which lined the road. Entering the House was like being taken into a wonderland of special effects based upon the theme of 'Twelve Days of Christmas" it was wonderfully diverting. The passage leading to the main hall was magically lit and featured delicate silvered trees among the existing ornately carved stonework. The main Hall was lit by a combination of a crackling fire and beautiful cascading lights which seemed to fall from the higher balcony. But here of course, was the main event, the huge, twenty five feet tall Christmas tree.
I will leave it there, but just to say, if you can visit, it is worth it especially late afternoon when it is dark outside.
Okay, the next day found me at Slingsby. I took my watercolour paper and drew two views of the ruins of the Castle. The ruin is now off limits and is considered too dangerous to visit. It is now a designated wildlife area. I walked around the perimeter trying to get a decent view but could'nt see any better than this. The Castle is moated and the surrounded ditch is pretty much intact. I will add the second picture soon. Whilst walking around the site I was invited to help the nearby volunteers to sweep up the fallen leaves from the churchyard. The people were very friendly and I enjoyed talking to everyone.

No comments: