Search This Blog

Saturday 9 June 2018

Sledmere House, East Yorkshire.

I walked down to the pond, it was smooth and still, the only sound being from the tumbling water of the fountain. As I stood on the stone flag path, forming the perimeter of the pond, a bright electric blue damselfly landed at my feet. Almost instantly, another arrived and they fly off in a tight embrace. As I stand, a group of house martins fly down and hit the water heavily, appearing to be momentarily submerged, causing lots of ripples before flying off.  Are they bathing, drinking, i'm not sure. The sun is out and across the pond I can see lots of deer the hidden 'ha-ha' ensuring they stay in the park. A jingling rythmic sound heralds the arrival of a bright yellow, people laden old agricultural cart, being pulled by two magnificent shire horses. They are told to stop. They stand still, in the sun, motionless, but then a hard sharp voice of command tells the younger horse to be still as it starts to get impatient. Back under control they move away, across the rough grass and out of sight. I walk round the pond and suddenly, clouds of silt explode and I can see a massive fish arrowing away towards central safety. I notice in the rough grass lots of buttercups but especially cuckoo flower or lady's smock, which are quite white here. A couple from Huddersfield came over and we had a lovely chat ( a coincidence as last night I talked to Steve from Huddersfield but now living in Vancouver ).
The house is shown here standing high above the terraced upper slopes. This is one of many I intend to paint. When walking Goerge after doing this one I think I saw a better view which I will try later. Walking away after painting I spotted some large hawker dragonflies. The abdomen seemed to have a long yellow strip down the whole length. Cannot find out what it is ..yet... maybe a Lincolnshire Hawker (;o)

No comments: