Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 May 2018

View from Wold Farm, Lund, East Yorkshire Wolds.


Today is forecast to be the last of the recent hot days, so I set off, and eventually stopped, via a walking tour of Lund, and inspecting the pond at North Dalton, to this spot, near Holme on the Wolds. As I drove to the site, I saw a huge, low flying buzzard, slowly flapping its massive,  broad wings, flying unhurriedly as it ignored  a pair of attacking crows. Further along, I saw a red kite, soaring effortlessly, it's forked tail busy articulating as it flew. Suddenly, a crow appeared and tried to chase it away with no effect. In fact, the kite wheeled round resulting in the crow flying away, the kite prodding it along. I set up the Pochade box and started the painting. In front of me a field with serried rows of embryonic cereal, revealed at a  distance, the silhouette, of a lone hare sitting upright. The  calls of a plover made me look up in time to see the characteristic broad winged dive, always so dramatic. Sad, however to see just this lone bird, as a child I would see flocks of hundreds. As I painted, a car pulled up and a man got out and walked through the cereal field. Later as he returned, we talked about the crop, I assumed he was a farmer but in fact, he was an agronomist. I mentioned the need for rain, and he agreed saying "though not too much".  We reflected on the wildlife and how rich it was in this area in particular the numerous French partridge. A local resident passed with his lovely, curious golden Labrador, which was carrying a plastic bottle, all the time wagging his tail. I finished the painting and adjourned to the Pipe and Glass for a coffee, feeling the weather was already changing.

No comments: